Monday, February 15, 2010

Pairs Figure Skating


My favorite Winter Olympic sport is figure skating. Normally I'll tune in and watch the ladies competition but I've learned to broaden my horizons to recently include the men's and pair's competition.

This weekend, Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo, the veteran Chinese pair hailing from China finished 1st after the short program.

These two came out've retirement to skate Vancouver. I first saw them skate a couple of years ago and I was blown away by their artistry. The pairs figure skating has long been dominated by the Russians. I actually remember watching the pairs figure skating when I was kid and remember seeing an earlier Chinese pair perform pretty badly, the Chinese guy swung his partner around in a turn and accidently let her go. That was many years ago and now the sport has been dominated by Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo, pictured above.

Everyone really has to see this real life couple skate to feel their magic. I like to think of them as the reincarnation of the fated lovers. When I watch them skate I can't help wonder if they were born to skate together. They do all there moves with such harmony and grace, it's soo beautiful.

In other news, American figure skating diva "Johnny Weir" has been getting death threats to stop wearing fur. I guess Johnny is so shaken up about it that he decided to stay in the Olympic village where the security is better. The PETA people are really going after Johnny. Wow, for Johnny sake, I hope he medals otherwise if he doesn't I'm sure she's going to show those PETA bitches just how fierce she is.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment