Thursday, August 12, 2010

Pre Show

I am on the eve of my very first stand up comedy DVD Taping. Oh gosh, it feels like X-mas all over again. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

This evening I finally worked out the final set for my show. It was a doozy and I'm so glad I didn't wait until the last minute to put it together. If it's one thing I learned about putting a set list together, I'm totally not like Kathy Griffin at all. Kathy basically writes her set list an hour before each show. For me, this process took atleast a couple of days and several revisions to get it right.

Usually when I do a show, it has to feel right, and right now it feels about 99.9999% right. I like to leave 0000001.% for margin of error. You know me, I gotta be ready for anything.

I started researching my old journals earlier this week to see if there was anything I wanted to include and that whole journal surfing session took me about 4 hours to complete. These past couple of days I've been trying to play the set out in my mind like it's a Kung Fu fight at the mastery level, instead of attacking your opponent right away, you meditate and visualize your every move a head of time, like a well thought out dance sequence.

I probably must've jumbled my set list 20 times before I finally got it to flow, transition, and make sense at the end. For that, I'd like to thank my old English College Professor from Haskell - Dr Low. She showed me how to write different papers and link them together at the end. It's funny how I should be using those techniques way later in comedy. The other person I'd like to thank is Margaret Cho. She's inspired a great deal of my work and watching many of her one woman shows over the years has been a great help. When you guys see my stand up comedy DVD, you'll see a lot of her influence, as well from my other favorite comedians like Maria Bamford, Mike Pace, and Paul Mooney.

Here goes everything!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment