Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Full Circle

This past weekend in L.A. I experienced one of those full circle moments that sometimes happen in life.

After hanging out at the Olympic Improv for the Sunday night Open Mic I drove to the Hollywood Improv and of course it was closed. The bar was still open and I wanted to pop in and see who was still around.

And sitting there was, Gene Pompa, the first man to ever give me a break at the Hollywood Improv.

I know this is an old story but I never get tired of telling it. Back in 2005 on my very first outing to L.A, I was very fortunate to be the Hollywood Improv at the right place and at the right time.

I was talking to this comic outside named Gene and without ever knowing who I was or where I came from, he got me onto to the 10pm show that same eveing.

Afterwards, he said to me, "when I started out, I would've never tried what you just did" . I guess he thought I was conspiring to get on the Hollywood Improv stage any way I could. I wasn't and I didn't.

Plain and simple Gene offered it and I took it. It's be no different if some hot dude asked me to suck his dick, I mean hello, of oourse I'm gonna say yeah.

So anyhoo, I popped in to the Improv and Gene was sitting there sipping on his wine. I asked him if he remembered me and he said yes. He says he did but I'm sure he forgot. I reminded him of how he got me on stage and he was like, "oh yeah" .

That's classic Gene Pompa for you.

I told him that since I saw him last, I turned into a headliner and can carry some time.

He looked at me and said, "that's cool, I'm glad you didn't puss out" .

That man does not miss a beat.

Thanks Gene!

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment