Friday, October 7, 2011

Steve Jobs



Wow, I'm pretty sure the entire world has felt a great loss from the death of Steve Jobs.

I didn't know Steve Jobs personally, I never saw him around in the Bay Area and I have certainly never had a conversation with the man but that shouldn't suggest that his life work has never impacted my life because it did, Steve's technology has influenced my life in a great many of ways.

When I was kid I remember using the Macintosh personal computer in school, I really didn't think anything of it, I just thought it was apart of our culture, it somehow made life and school work easier.

Over time the Mac PC got colorful and then it became smaller in the form of a laptop and then it became a phone.

How amazing is that.

I've never been into phone culture so the IPhone wasn't a big deal to me, you can ask any of the closet people to me, I'm probably one of the very few who never quite caught on to the idea of always being connected to a phone.

And then there were all the famous computer animated movies produced by his company Pixar Studios, which is based in Emeryville, CA.

In the early 90's I was heavily into playing volleyball, so much so I would seek out places to play which lead me to City Beach, which was an indoor volleyball court built inside a warehouse owned by guess who, Pixar Studios. They didn't own the City Beach but they owned the property, I guess while I was honing my awesome down the line arm swing, they were making, "Toys" , right next store to us, literally.

For anyone pursuing a job in the computer animation field, Pixar is a dream job.

Living in the Bay Area I can tell you this, getting a job with Pixar is not easy to come by, they don't just hire anyone, you have to be referred by an employee already on the inside because they work like a family, they only hire people they like as a person.

I once worked with a waiter whose plan was to weasel his way onto a lacrosse team with Pixar employee's and then become employed with Pixar, his plan must have worked because when I saw him some year's later and he was a Pixar employee.

Over the past couple of days I read a several write up's on Steve Jobs and kept hearing the words genius, innovator, and great.

Thinking back, it's kind of hard to imagine what our lives would be like without his brilliant contributions, thank you Steve Jobs, R.I.P

xoox

No comments:

Post a Comment