Sunday, June 9, 2013

Famous Enough

I have to come to the conclusion that I have reached the pinnacle of my stand up comedy success.  And I say this because it was the Native American population in the United States who made my career happen.

It wasn't the White population, it wasn't the Mexicans, it wasn't the Asians, and it certainly wasn't the Black people who made me famous, but it was the Red people who gave me my chance to live the dream.

Next month I'll be celebrating 10 years in comedy and the industry hasn't changed, they're still promoting the same mediocre white boy comedians from when I first started and minority comedians are lucky if they get thrown a bone.

This past week there was a new Cherrio's commercial that was considered controversial by mainstream America because it featured an inter-racial couple and Cherrio's received so much hate mail over it.

WTF?  Are you serious?

And these are the people I've been trying to champion for the past 10 years, fuck that.

I'm not here to represent haters, idiots, bigots, racists.  I'm here to represent the people who share my politics.

But come to think of it, its become pretty obvious why my career has stalled.  My glass ceiling turned out to be average middle America White people who don't want to identify with anybody else except for themselves.

The entertainment industry they kept telling us if we wanted to make it that we'd have to disregard our race, gender, sexuality and talk about non specific topics that would appeal to a broader audiences.

Why?

Why the fuck do we have to cut out our identify?  Is it to make our White counterparts feel better about their own lack of?

In some odd twisted way then I'm glad I didn't make it because that would have meant selling out the most funny and interesting parts about me because some fucking hee-haws don't get it.

I'm tired of trying to cow toe and relate to White people whose experiences I don't share, why does this have to be one way streak, why can't these muthafucka's try and relate to me?

In a way I'm glad they took away my ancestors language and made us learn English, so now they can perfectly understand me when I say to them, go fuck yourself.

xoxo








No comments:

Post a Comment