Friday, September 6, 2013

Stop fucking with Carnie

A while back another Gay comedian pissed me off when I was at the Akbar in the L.A. area during, "Drunk on Stage" , which is a popular comedy show in Silverlake.  The show was going fine until this new Gay comedian made a fat joke about Carnie Wilson which pissed me off.

Is that where we're at as Gay stand up comedians?  Have we finally crossed over and become so mainstream that we've lost sight ourselves?

My point being, have we progressed so far in our movement that we've now become the oppressors from being the oppressed?  I think not.

The last time I checked, its still not cool for anyone who identifies as a LGBT.  Gay teens are still committing suicide, Gays are still being targeted for harassment, straight comics are still telling really bad jokes about Gays on stage and oh, has anybody been keeping track of the National Anti-Gay laws Russia?
 
Very recently I tweeted to Carnie Wilson that I had her back and said I stuck up for her when another comic cracked on her.  She tweeted back and wanted to know the comics name and of course I tweeted Carnie back his name.

In typical fashion, the friends of this Gay comic began a twitter tirade on Carnie except for the muthafucker who was talking shit about her in the first place, oh really, thats so odd for this muthafucker who started all this and now has nothing to say.  I've been doing stand up comedy for 10 years and if you can't back up anything you say on stage than you shouldn't be saying anything at all.

And then I get called an kiss ass by this gay comics friends because I stuck up for Carnie.

I know I work in comedy and whatever is said on stage is supposed to be meant as a joke but sometimes enough is enough.

We can't move forward as a LGBT community if we keep holding ourselves back, know what I mean?

xoxo

Charlie Ballard








1 comment:

  1. Comedy is enriched when a comic doesn't have to resort to testing the fence in oppressing others. Sure, people laugh at folks like Lisa Lampinelli,but true comedians can illicit love from an audience more by making them think than by putting down someone for their race, weight, sex, sexuality, etc. The comedians I like the best make me pause in awe of their comic genius.

    ReplyDelete