Tuesday, July 14, 2015


After 3 years of battling respiratory problems, the swine flu, pneumonia, a sinus infection, depression, weight gain, losing my voice & being misdiagnosed as a diabetic and having high anxiety, I'm finally feeling better.

A couple years ago when this all started, I use to wake up in my sleep from shortness of breath and now finally, it stopped.  

The last ER doctor I saw put me on the asthma ventilator and prescribed me some presnidone to take down the swelling in my throat and that did the trick.

As I began to get sick, I would frequently lose my breath in my sleep, I kept thinking to myself that every time I stopped breathing in my sleep that it was going to be my last breath and I wasn't ready to die.

About 2 years ago, I caught the swine flu and I didn't know it. That swine flu snuck up me because I was just getting over a sinus infection.  The wheezing from the swine flu was unbearable.  My first swine flu symptoms occurred in L.A., I just got through visiting Wesley in Arizona and was coming back from Las Vegas, which is where I'm sure I picked it up from, the penny slots. When I got to L.A., the symptoms began to kick in so I went to grocery store at 4am in the morning to buy some over the counter congestion medicine, what I didn't know was that my symptoms were so far progressed that it caused that over the counter medicine to give me really bad heart palpitations. When I finally got home and made it to the ER, that's when they found fluid in my lungs. 

This was around the time when the doctors informed me that I was pre-diabetic, which was odd for me because diabetes doesn't run in my family and I've always been active.  I guess my immune system was so tired fighting the flu & pneumonia that it left my sugar levels out of whack.

When I got home from L.A. And went to the ER, I had a good cry & let out all the emotional pain I was going thru.

Present time, I knew I wasn't completely healed because I still had minor wheezing in my lungs so the docs gave me an inhaler.  This went on for quite some time, the small lingering noticeable wheez.  Then by chance, I got sick again last month and lost my voice.  Maybe that was a great thing because that's when I got those steroids to reduce the swelling in my throat, those pills helped reduce the leftover swelling in my lungs and I've been sleeping like a baby ever since.

I'm just glad it's over. Thie stress of the sickness caused me to grow a couple grey hairs, that and being 40 too.

Today I want to celebrate being a survivor and hanging in there.  I can't think of a better way to do it than with a bowl of my favorite spicy ramen & Thai boba tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment